Are you nervous about the new school year? Maybe you’re starting a new school, or anxious about which friends will be in your class. Whatever the reason, the beginning of a new school year can bring nerves, stress, and anxiety to any kid. To deal with this, KidMag has generated 5 useful ways to calm down before your new school year!
1. Play music that makes you feel good. These could be songs with lost of lyrics, funky beats, or classical background music. If it helps, don’t be afraid to bust a move or two while listening, it might drop your worries even more! Also, if you’re stuck for song choices stay tuned for KidMags list of epic confidence-boosting songs, which will be posted closer to the beginning of September!
2. Do something you love or something that will take your mind off the looming thought of the school year ahead. This could be anything from reading a book to baking a batch of chocolate cupcakes. Here is a list of ideas that you could try:
- Write in a journal
- Research your dream career
- Plan your next family vacation
- Play an instrument
- Write a story
- Walk your dog
- Snuggle with a pet
- Make some tea
- Look through old photos
- Make a music video
- Make bracelets for you and your friends
- Read your favourite book
3. This tip only applies if you are starting at a new school – check out your school’s website and look for important information such as the first day of school, school hours, clubs or sports teams they offer and if you need to bring your own supplies. Sometimes knowing what to expect can help you calm down and give you light into the reality of the upcoming weeks. It also helps to think about your first-day outfit, so you have an idea of what to look for when the time comes.
4. Talk about your worries and fears with a friend who will be attending the same school as you this coming school year. Expressing your worries to this friend will let him/her know how you feel and they will know to help you the first few days. You might also learn your friend has similar worries. If this is the case, it will help you realize you are not the only one scared to start the school year.
5. Visualize yourself having a good time in school. This will help in many ways, including boosting your confidence. Seeing an image of yourself-imagined or not- will give you a true picture, and let you know that it is possible for you to have a great time this year!
We hope you enjoyed KidMags 5 Great Ways To Calm Down Before School! Be sure to let us know which tip helped you most, and if there were any tips we left out!