Ice cream is typically made with lots of complicated machinery and other things that you can’t find at home. But did you know that you can actually make delicious ice cream using only some plastic bags, cream, sugar, salt, vanilla extract and food colouring?
To start making your ice cream, gather all of these ingredients:
1 cup of cream or milk
½ a teaspoon of vanilla extract
2 tablespoons of sugar
Food colouring in the colour of your choice
6 tablespoons of salt
A large Ziploc bag
A medium-sized Ziploc bag
Strawberry Jam (Optional)
Chocolate Hazelnut Spread (Optional)
- Start by putting one cup of cream or milk into the medium-sized bag.
- Then, add ½ a teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Add two tablespoons of sugar.
- Put in two drops of food colouring, in the colour of your choice.
- Measure out six tablespoons of salt. Pour it in the LARGE bag.
- Fill the large bag halfway with ice.
- Bury the medium-sized bag into the ice, and zip it closed.
- Shake vigorously for five minutes over top of a cloth. Put on your favourite tunes to make the time go by faster! (Tip: Put on thick gloves so that your hands don’t freeze off!)
- Decide your flavour. If you would like vanilla, you do not need to add anything. If you would like strawberry, add some strawberry jam. If you would like chocolate, add a Chocolate Hazelnut spread, such as Nutella.
- Grab a spoon and enjoy!
You may be wondering why you have to shake a plastic bag for five minutes, rather than just combining all of the ingredients in a bowl and freezing it. If you did that, you would end up with a hard block of sweetened milk instead of ice cream.
TIP: Save the ice cream for later by transferring it into a container with a lid and putting it in the freezer.
Did you enjoy your ice cream? Let us know via our contact page!